The Philippine’s first set of esports merit scholars will be awarded soon!
The Globe-AcadArena Merit Esports Scholarship (GAMES) Fund, the first-ever esports scholarship program of its kind in the Philippines, is now open accepting applicants from accredited student organizations under the AcadArena Alliance program.
AcadArena’s Alliance program was just launched this year and has proven to have given better structure to the different student gamer communities across the Philippines.
The program has three different levels of accreditation from 1-star to 3-star. Each level gives more perks and access to these student organizations, with the GAMES fund just being one of them.
“This program is our way of giving back to the student-gamers that have been so passionate about the local gaming space for so long now,” said Globe’s Gaming and Esports Lead Dennis Christian Dominguez. “We hope that this will empower them to chase their dreams, regardless of whatever they may be.”
GAMES Fund Categories
Globe and AcadArena recognize the equal importance of both the competitive and back-end work in campus esports.
The GAMES has two (2) categories: competitive merit and leadership merit. This category is only accessible to 3-star Alliance member organizations.
These prioritize academic performance and campus esports contributions in their Alliance student organization. Merits outside of AcadArena (having roles in amateur teams and/or other big leagues or esports orgs) is a plus.
The chosen scholars will be awarded one of the following:
*GAMES only covers tuition based on the number of units and not any other miscellaneous fees.
The Family Good Game Grant will prioritize family-oriented, model student gamers in need that have good academic performance and campus esports contributions in their Alliance student organization.
This category is accessible by any Alliance member organization regardless of star tier.
Interviews will be conducted for the shortlisted candidates. Awardees and grantees will be announced in February at the AcadArena Awards show.
It’s important to note that while students may apply for both. They may only be awarded once.
Eligible Student Organizations
Earlier this December, AcadArena announced the 29 student organizations who have passed the Alliance Program’s accreditation process this 2020. All members of these student organizations may apply for the Family Good Game Grant. Members of the school orgs in bold may also apply for the competitive and leadership merit scholarships.
- LG Esports from Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU)*
- TUP GEAR from Technological University of the Philippines (TUP)*
- Malayan Esports Club from Malayan Colleges Laguna (MCL)*
- Mapua Gaming Society from Mapua University (MU)*
- Oblation Esports from University of the Philippines - Diliman (UPD)*
- Valiant Esports Club from Holy Angel University (HAU)*
- SAGE Esports - University of San Agustin (USA)*
- AdU Game from Adamson University (AdU)
- COMSSO from University of the East - Manila (UE)
- Golden Lions from Central Philippine University (CPU)
- ICON from St. Louis University (SLU)
- SULO from Philippine Normal University (PNU)
- Ignis from De La Salle University - Lipa (DLSU-L)
- JPCS from Far Eastern University - Alabang (FEU-A)
- Romançon Gaming from College of St. Benilde (CSB)
- Mustang Esports from STI-West Negros University (STI-WN)
- SUSG from Silliman University (SU)
- WVSU Esports Organization from Western Visayas State University (WVSU)
- Tamaraws Esports Club from Far Eastern University - Institute of Technology (FEU-IT)
- USC Warriors Arena from University of San Carlos (USC)
- Haribons from Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM)
- Pylon Esports from Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP)
- Rektikano Esports from University of St. La Salle (USL)
- Titans Esports from Liceo de Cagayan University (LDCU)
- Jaguars from University of the Cordilleras (UC)
- Teletigers from University of Santo Tomas (UST)
- Viridis Arcus from De La Salle University - Manila (DLSU-M)
- Tamaraws FX from Far Eastern University - Manila (FEU-M)
- Paradigm Esports from New Era University (NEU)
*3-star accredited Alliance member organizations as of 2020.
“We’re excited to bring the GAMES Fund to life to support student-gamers excelling both in and out of play,” said AcadArena’s Co-Founder and Director of Student Programs, Ariane Lim. “We have a lot of plans on how we can improve this more with Globe and our tried and tested campus esports ecosystem in AcadArena. This is just the start.”
How to apply for the Globe-AcadArena Merit Esports Scholarship (GAMES)?
Interested applicants must go to www.acadarena.com/gamescholarship and follow the application procedures. Entries must be completed and submitted by January 24, 2021 at 8:00 PM UTC+8.
For student organizations who wish to be part of the Alliance, wave 2 of Alliance accreditation applications end on January 30, 2021. Download the forms under the Application Procedure section at www.acadarena.com/alliance.